Student Research Projects:
- Support of 3 graduate student research projects:
- Systematic Lithologic Calibration of Mass-Transport Deposits Seismic Character in the Northern Gulf of Mexico, USA (Mario A. Gutierrez, M.S. candidate)
- Anatomy of Neogene deepwater channel belts, eastern Mexico offshore (Fernando Agustin Apango Perez, M.S. candidate)
- Analysis and Reconstruction of Jurassic carbonate and siliciclastic reservoir systems, Mexico shelf to deep-water (Abdulah Eljalafi, PhD. candidate)
Applied Science Goals:
- Development of new (seismic & well-based) Neogene paleogeographic and unit interval maps for offshore Mexico, including seismic facies maps, focused on deepwater systems.
- Development of predictive source-to-sink scaling relationships in Mexico Neogene section.
- New southern GOM PETM source rock analyses, Chicxulub Impact Basin Sites M0077A and Yax-1, Mexico; comparison to US Paleogene slope/basin enhanced source rock habitats, and linkage to inboard northern GOM and onshore fluvial/deltaic processes.
- Update all GBDS Phase 11 GOM wide maps for Cenozoic and Mesozoic units with newly compiled wells and references, including Mexico offshore and onshore data based on open access Pemex reports and numerous (>100) university theses and dissertations).
- Continue delineation and mapping of pre-salt basins in the northern Gulf of Mexico, calibrated by detrital zircon provenance analysis through collaboration with M. Blum and Bruce Frederick (UKansas). Texas/Mexico borderline Chittim rift system new objective.
- Expanded mapping of Ceno-Turonian (Tuscaloosa) fan system, deepwater northern GOM.
- Development of ten (10) basin scale cross-sections across entire GOM (US, Mexico, Cuba).
GBDS Database, GIS and Tools:
- Add to GBDS GOM well control as new well logs and biostratigraphy are released (180 new in Phase 11).
- Added to GBDS reference set as new references are released (150 new in Phase 11).
- Maintain current GBDSGIS database and provide interim updates to sponsors.
- Continue to update and refine GBDSTools as science requires including new LAS viewer.