At UTIG, we aim to conduct rigorous and impactful research, while treating everyone with respect, fairness, and dignity. In pursuing our activities, we make the following commitments that apply in both physical and virtual spaces:
- We strive to maintain at all times a collegial, professional, inclusive, and equitable environment.
- We treat everyone with dignity, courtesy, respect, and compassion, independent of their career path, career stage, or personal attributes that include but are not limited to: age, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender expression, gender identity, lactation, nationality, physical appearance, political affiliation, socioeconomic class, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, and status as a caregiver.
- We listen to diverse viewpoints and are respectful of others’ right to express their own points of view.
- When conflicts arise, we commit to acknowledging them and addressing them respectfully and directly, with the specific aim of strengthening our community.
- We encourage UTIG community members to explore their implicit biases to create a fairer, more just organization.
- We adopt policies and practices that promote equity and accessibility.
- We pledge to help the entire community follow the code of conduct, and to not remain silent when we see violations of the code.
- We will not tolerate intimidation or retaliation against anyone for raising a concern or making a report in good faith, or for cooperating in an investigation.
UTIG strives to foster a collaborative and inclusive environment, with research teams within and outside the Institute. Each team member will have their own goals, visions, and approaches to thinking and problem solving that should be considered respectfully. The time of others should be respected by being on time, following a meeting agenda, and actively participating. Team members should receive the credit they deserve for their contributions, independent of their status. Feedback and discussion are an essential part of team work, and we encourage a climate that embraces constructive criticism. We strive to maintain a civil discourse when discussing contentious issues.
Toxic behaviors can significantly interfere with civil discourse of co-workers, which impacts workplace satisfaction and productivity. As a community, we do not accept behaviors targeting individuals or groups, such as harassment, discrimination, racism, sexism, bullying, aggression, violence, stereotyping (including assumptions about classical gender roles), misogyny, misandry, exclusionary or offensive comments, bias, or other harmful behavior that is intended to intimidate, belittle, humiliate, or threaten others. Inappropriate sharing of other people’s confidential or private information is similarly unacceptable. These commitments hold in both physical and virtual spaces.